Sampson's Prosthetic & Orthotic Laboratory was founded in 1968 by the late William Sampson Sr. He began his career in the profession in 1950 as an apprentice for a New York City firm and after seven years, he was certified by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics (ABC).
He worked in the city of his birth from 1950 until 1961 when he and several others formed a partnership in Schenectady. By 1968 the partnership dissolved amicably and William started his own firm, Sampson's Prosthetic and Orthotic Laboratory, Inc.
Within several years, the company grew to a second facility in Glens Falls. Both the Schenectady and Glens Falls offices changed locations several times over the years as larger quarters and improved amenities were sought. Sampson's now has grown to additional offices in the Capital Region.
Until his retirement, William attended courses, seminars and clinical workshops on upper and lower extremity prosthetics at New York University, the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) and through the Veterans Administration in New York City. Among the specialty areas he pursued were advanced upper and lower extremity prosthetics, myoelectric components, suction and total contact sockets, immediate and post-surgical procedures, and fluid control mechanisms for above-knee amputations.
William Sampson Sr. passed away March 15, 2010.
Bill Sampson now the company president, joined his father while he was still in his teens, working part time at the facility doing odd jobs and observing fabrication and rehabilitation operations from the ground-up. Bill joined the company full time as a certified prosthetist in 1985 and has overseen the company's expansion to other communities. Bill has put Sampson's in the forefront of providing patients with cutting edge technology such as the C-Leg® and the DynamicArm®. He also is an instructor in lower extremity MAS socket design.